Sunday, April 1, 2012

Simplifying goals/investing

In honor of my brand new (maxed out for the 2011 & 2012) Vanguard IRA, I figured I would share Jack Bogle's (founder of Vanguard) 12 pillars of wisdom for investing. I love the message that investing should be simple -- saving money to achieve your goal should be straight-forward. So in the spirit of the 12 pillars, I decided to put my goals & financial desires on paper.

Who am I? What do I want out of life? What are my goals?

I am 22. I’m a college graduate. I love to read. I work as a consultant for a small (and quickly growing) software company. I rent a fantastic studio apartment in DC, with windows that stretch the expanse of one wall. I have my health – but I’d like to focus more on maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I plan on running a 10K in October. I have a fantastic boyfriend, who sadly lives in a different city. I don’t call my family & friends nearly enough, but am truly blessed to know so many interesting, intelligent people. I have close friends from childhood, high school, and college – and exceptionally cool co-workers, many of whom are my friends.

I want to go back to school for a master’s degree in behavioral finance or behavioral economics. I know what I want to study, but not what I’d do with that degree. (Is that weird?) I want to write articles about personal finance for a financial magazine (or whatever derivative is around in 20 years). I want to go to law school when I retire. I’d like to share my life with one person, and fully pay for my kids’ college tuitions. I want to travel. A lot. In a few years, I might want to buy a condo or apartment. I really want a dog, but with my work hours & travel, that won’t be a possibility for several years.

I want to live comfortably in retirement. I want to stay close to my amazing girlfriends. I want male politicians and clergy to stop infringing on women’s rights and thinking they know better than I do what decisions I (and other women) should make. I want to be respected; I want to be a compassionate person.


12 Pillars of Wisdom -- http://www.vanguard.com/bogle_site/april272001.html

No comments:

Post a Comment